MSY Travel Ready is a strategic and comprehensive plan that outlines the precautions the airport and its partners are taking to provide a safe and healthy travel journey. This plan is a coordinated effort to adapt airport facilities and operations based on CDC and other health expert recommendations to protect passengers and employees against the spread of COVID-19 and other germs during their time at the airport.
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is a GBAC STAR™-accredited facility.
The GBAC STAR™ Facility Accredidation Program is the gold standard of prepared facilities. This accreditation means that a facility has:
- Established and maintained a cleaning, disinfection, and infectious disease prevention program to minimize risks associated with infectious agents like the novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).
- The proper cleaning protocols, disinfection techniques, and work practices in place to combat biohazards and infectious disease.
- Highly informed cleaning professionals who are trained for outbreak and infectious disease preparation and response.
The GBAC STAR trademark is owned by GBAC Inc. and licensed to ISSA, and is used with ISSA’s permission.
PHYSICAL DISTANCING MARKERS
- Signage throughout the public spaces in the terminal encourages people to maintain at least six feet of separation between themselves and others.
- Floor decals encourage proper physical distance between those waiting at ticket counters, queuing lanes, TSA checkpoint, concessions and in baggage claim.
- Markers and signage in seating areas that promote physical distancing.
- Occupancy limits on elevators.
- Plexiglass barriers are being installed at several airline ticket counters, gate hold podiums and other key locations to provide a shield between the public and employees.
FACILITY CLEANING AND SANITIZATION
- Airport janitorial staff is using EPA-approved chemicals to conduct additional cleanings and sanitization, especially in high touch areas such as hand rails, door handles, TSA bins, seating areas and other hard surfaces.
- Airlines, concessionaires and other tenants continue to clean and sanitize their spaces regularly per their expanded corporate guidelines.
- Hand sanitizing stations are strategically placed throughout the terminal. The airport has added 30 more hand sanitizing stations for a total of 40 airport-wide. Locations can be found by using keyword “hand sanitizing station” in the search bar on the facility map on our website.
- Passengers are required to wear face coverings or masks throughout the terminal.
- All employees that interact with the public will wear a face covering or mask.
- Many airlines are requiring ticketed passengers to wear a face covering throughout check-in, boarding and during the flight.
Our concessionaires are dedicated to providing a safe environment for passengers to purchase food, beverages, and other items during their travel. Concessions have made updates to their locations to better protect passengers and employees like installing plexiglass barriers and signage encouraging social distancing in queues.
Several concessions are open and available for passengers as they travel through MSY. For a full list of open concessions and their hours of operation, visit our concessions page.
Many airlines are taking the following additional steps to ensure passengers can fly healthy:
- Requiring face coverings.
- Using robust High-Efficiency Particle Filter (HEPA) filtration systems to clean air of contaminants and bacteria.
- Sterilizing aircraft with electrostatic sprayers and foggers.
- Sanitizing counters, kiosks and gate areas.
- Disinfecting surfaces like arm rests and seat buckles.
- Reducing touch points like beverage service.
Passengers are encouraged to review their airline’s safety updates directly on the airline’s website before travel.
- TSA employees in screening areas are required to wear facial protection.
- Conduct routine cleaning and disinfecting of frequently touched surfaces and security screening equipment at the TSA security checkpoint.
- Hand sanitizer containers of up to 12 ounces is allowed in carry-on bags.
- If your driver’s license or state-issued ID expired on or after March 1, 2020, and you are unable to renew at your state driver’s license agency, you may still use it as acceptable identification at the checkpoint. TSA will accept expired driver’s licenses or state-issued ID a year after expiration.
- Keep possession of their boarding passes.
- Separate food for X-ray screening.
- Pack smart.
- Practice social distancing.
- Wear facial protection.
Several transportation options are available to and from MSY. Below is a listing of transportation types and updates
Face coverings are required on all JeT transit.
Visit jeffersontransit.org for updates.
Face coverings are required on all RTA transit.
Use GoMobile to pay fares. Learn more about the app and download here.
For updates to operations, visit RTA’s website.
Lyft has implemented a new Health Safety Program that requires riders and drivers to wear masks along with a personal health certification.
Uber has implemented new safety protocols that require drivers and riders to wear masks and provide a checklist to ensure proper precautions are being taken.
1 Terminal Drive
Kenner, LA 70062
P.O. Box 20007
New Orleans, LA 70141
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is open 24 hours daily, including holidays.
Administrative office hours: 8 AM to 5 PM (M-F)
Parking & Directions
Getting Around MSY
Working at MSY